Monday

THINK FAST: Day 1

Rethinking: I can’t change.
In most fasts, people abstain from eating or some other activity.  Our fast is a daily fast from particular poisonous thoughts.

The Lie: I can’t change.

Today’s fast is from the thought or internal lie that says, “I can’t change.”
Have you ever been in an argument with someone and at last they finally concede by saying, “Well, this is the way I am. It’s is how I have always been?”
 
Or maybe you yourself have done something regrettable, like told off the lady in the supermarket for charging you double, and you justify it by saying, “That’s just the way I am.  You know I have a quick temper.”

In other words, when we say these things, we are saying, “This is the way I am.  I can’t change.”
We begin our THINK Fast by fasting from this way of thinking. 

We’ve all felt at times like we can’t change a certain habit, or a negative characteristic about ourselves. Maybe you feel like you can’t conquer an addiction, or change a bad habit. Perhaps you feel like you’ll always be easily angered, afraid or worried. Well, that’s what this fast from wrong thinking is all about.

As we change our thought patterns and mindsets, ANYTHING can change. And changing our minds is simply a process of replacing defective thoughts with biblical TRUTHS. So, if you’ve felt like you can’t change, you CAN, and this is WHY…


The Truth: I can change. 
God grants me the ability to change

“Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,” –2 Timothy 2:25 (emphasis mine)

A grant is something that is given…a gift that does not need to be repaid.  Like the gift of salvation, God has gifted us with the ability to change (repent). 
Interesting side note: Repentance means to “change your mind” about something.


Truth: I am changing.
God is changing me, by renewing my mind.

“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” –Romans 12:2

We are expected to change, and not continue in the poisonous ways of the worldly mind.  The key to changing is “renewing our minds.”  This can only be done by the Holy Spirit, through the study of God’s Word. 

Added benefit: By seeking the Truth of God’s Word, we will be able to “to test and approve what God's will is.”


Truth: I am changed!
Praise God, I am not who I used to be.

“And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect[a] the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.” –2 Corinthians 3:18.

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” –2 Corinthians 5:17

If you are saved by grace, then you are not who you used to be. You are a new creature in Christ, being TRANSFORMED into his likeness.  This is a process, but first you have to Disconnect from past definition of your habits, traits and limitations. You are being changed into His image. Praise GOD!


Prayer:

God,

I pray Lord, in the Name of Jesus that you will help me to fast from the thought that I can’t change and to replace that with the Truth that I am changed, that I can change and that I am changing.

I submit to the process of renewing my mind by searching Your Word, expecting divine progress and supernatural change.

Lord help me to refuse to accept past definitions and limitations of myself. Help me to see Your view of me as expressed through the mirror of the Word.

I submit these requests to you in Jesus Name.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are encouraged to discuss your responses to the topic.

However unauthorized solicitations (SPAM) will not be posted.