Wednesday

Proverbs, Chapter 21

So, there's a chapter of Proverbs for everyday of the month, up to 31 days, but past even that, Proverbs is an amazing book. First of all, it was written by the wisest dude that ever lived. So when you read Proverbs, it's like the ultimate self-help guide. If you know me, you know that I am totally into those self-help books, from investing and sewing, to business and sex. Furthermore, the Proverbs were written to give wisdom to the foolish and the language is so that a child can understand much of it. So, it's like an ancient version of The Idiot's Guide. I'm kidding.

But seriously, back in the day, Hebrew fathers would bundle this short book into a leather bound booklet and give it to their sons as sort of like a graduation present, welcoming them to manhood. It was so important to the Jewish people that this tradition lasted generations. If only we did this today, in our culture. This wisdom, although ancient, is SO relevant. Every bit of it applies today.

I have committed to read a chapter a day, on going and I encourage you to do it too. We all need wisdom and I know I pray for it all the time. Well, here it is. Ask God that the Holy Spirit will open your eyes and give you the courage to apply this wisdom to your life right now.

I will stop in and share with you my observations from what I have read and you can feel free to comment or post your thoughts on what you are reading.

Here's a few things that stuck out to me, from Proverbs 21:

Proverb 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD;
he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.
This verse is significant to me because I know that it is true. In my life and in the life of others, including my own mother, I have seen, where God has given us the unmerited favor of worldly "rulers", i.e. employers. The world would say, that only a certain type of person (race, age, sex, education) can have this position or that office, but God directs the heart of the king in the direction of whomever he chooses, and in this case, it is His children. Man, it's good to be a daughter of the Divine.

2 All a man's ways seem right to him,
but the LORD weighs the heart.
Have you ever noticed how even the most wicked people can still justify their actions, as if they were good? People lie so much, that they even lie to themselves.

5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit
as surely as haste leads to poverty.
This is one of the verses that shout at me. I have not always been the best planner, and have often been hasty in pursuing something that appears to have potential. I have learned a lot, and experienced a lot of failure because I did not heed this Word for a long time. God is changing me though and I am seeing the results of that shift.

9 Better to live on a corner of the roof
than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.
19 Better to live in a desert
than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.
Ain't it the truth? I know, because I have cringed in my skin when I have observed the manipulation and nagging of a wife, when she genuinely wants to change the behavior of her husband. Wait a minute, that was me! Look, ladies, we can't change them. You aren't going to make him read the Bible, go to church, pick up his socks, or play with his own children. We were not called to be Holy Spirit Jr.'s and guess what...God doesn't need our help! You BETTER pray for that man. You pray and you pray, even when you don't want to, even when you want to choke him. When he is really bad, you lay flat on the ground, face down and pray. you fast, but don't nag!

12 The Righteous One takes note of the house of the wicked
and brings the wicked to ruin.
17 He who loves pleasure will become poor;
whoever loves wine and oil will never be rich.
20 In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil,
but a foolish man devours all he has.
21 He who pursues righteousness and love
finds life, prosperity and honor.
It is so easy to look at celebrities, who flaunt an ungodly lifestyle yet drive Bentleys and live in the Hampton's, and wonder "What am I doing wrong?" or "Why her?" or "Why bother with Christianity?" I have heard them all, and they all sprout from a green little demon called Jealousy because "those sinners" got it better that you do...at least materially. Well verse 12 says, God is taking note of the household of the wicked. He has not forgot you, just because someone else "appears" to be blessed.
But on the flip side...verse 21 says, "He who pursues righteous living and love for his neighbors, finds prosperity"...not "He who pursues prosperity finds prosperity."

23 He who guards his mouth and his tongue
keeps himself from calamity.
After much painful experimentation, I've deduced that "The best way to keep your foot out of your mouth, is to SHUT IT!"

30 There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan
that can succeed against the LORD.
31 The horse is made ready for the day of battle,
but victory rests with the LORD.
These two verses work together for me. It reminds me that the world's wisdom, which says you need this degree or that family name or this upbringing to achieve this goal or that dream is a bunch of hogwash when God has a plan in mind. Furthermore, we can prepare and prepare for something (readying the horse), but the victory or the achievement ultimately rests with the Lord. Wow, that just eradicates every excuse not to succeed.



1 comment:

You are encouraged to discuss your responses to the topic.

However unauthorized solicitations (SPAM) will not be posted.