Thursday

Proverbs 22

Proverbs 22:1, 6, 16, 17-21& 24-25


1 A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.
To me this verse is significant because having a good reputation is only positive. People must be able to look at us and know that we are Christians because our actions are of love and are good. (The Proverbs were written before Christ, but God’s Word never changes!) (Prov.22:1)


6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.
Ladies, everything we do, our children take note, and their actions and reactions are in relation to what we show them. It is up to us to make sure we provide a strong spiritual foundation in our lives so that our kids will see the god in us! (Prov. 22:6)


16 He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich—both come to poverty.
God wants us to help those who need help. Today was the first time in a while that I gave some change to a stranger that asked (I am not going to call that man a bum). But before I gave him the change I talked to God about it. I said to myself, this is not my money and I am not just giving it to a man. It is becoming God's property. And I let it go. Charity is something. One day when I was at church for a follow up service, a lady just gave me ten dollars since the church did not have an offering that night. God is good! This lady did not know me or my situation. I had lost my ATM card and check card and could not get any money out of the bank until my new cards were mailed to me. God is on time. This lady had know idea of what was going on but God directed her to me. I did not ask her for anything, and God told her to give me the ten dollars that she was going to put in the offering. Whoa! I was shocked, because I was worried about not having a dime for a whole week. And God came through for me. It may not seem like much for some people, but it was and meant a whole lot to me. We have to give God the glory no matter what. (Prov. 22:16)



17 Pay attention and listen to the sayings of the wise; apply your heart to what I teach,
18 for it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have all of them ready on your lips.
19 So that your trust may be in the LORD, I teach you today, even you.
20 Have I not written thirty sayings for you, sayings of counsel and knowledge,
21 teaching you true and reliable words, so that you can give sound answers to him who sent you?

When you hear wisdom, receive wisdom you never know when you are going to need that wisdom. (Prov. 22:17-21)


24 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered,
25 or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared.
It is true, in order to grow, we need positive people in our lives. You know if you are not strong enough to deal with someone that is not living/acting in a proper manner. Leave them alone, because you can get caught up. I am not saying give up on them, distance yourself from them and pray for them. That is all you can do. (Prov. 22:24-25)



--F. Butcher

1 comment:

You are encouraged to discuss your responses to the topic.

However unauthorized solicitations (SPAM) will not be posted.