Friday

Proverbs 22

Hey, ladies. These are the verses that really stood out to me, enough to be highlighted in my new Bible and shared with you.

Enjoy this morsel.


Proverbs 22

1 A good name is more desirable than great riches;
to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.


Esteemed is defined as “to regard with respect, or to regard favorably; appreciated.” It feels good to be esteemed. People often pursue wealth, not for the sake of having money, but because of the clout money is expected to bring (i.e. A man thinks if he gets a good job, and buys a fancy car, he will finally get the girl to like him.” But the first part of the verse, says “A good name is more desirable than great riches.” A good name, implies being recognized as being of noble or honorable character. When I think of this concept, I often think of legacy. What kind of legacy will I leave behind. I hope that it is as a woman of incomparable faith, who walked in wisdom and integrity. Now that is worth something.


6 Train [a] a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. 15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

My mother used to make us read these verses and I guess it must have made spankings easier, for her at least, but this is true. My own children can be so “challenging” at times, that I CONSTANTLY remind myself that “foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child.” It also convicts me, because like my mother, discipline also is hard to enforce, but if we can train them in the Way now, then when they are older, it will be their foundation.

7 The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender. 26 Do not be a man who strikes hands in pledge or puts up security for debts; 27 if you lack the means to pay, your very bed will be snatched from under you.

You know the lie they told you that you’ll always be in debt…well that is bad advice. You don’t have to be a borrower to anyone. Listen up, my sisters who are in debt! We pray that God’s Will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven, right? Well, these verses show that it is not God’s Will for you to be in debt. Firstly, from the point of view of wisdom, to be in debt is just not wise. You could lose your very bed. This I know. And secondly, we do not own anything. We are stewards of all the God has given us. It is a bad reflection of us as God’s managers, when we have squandered what he has given us to manage. (This is not a commentary on investing, which is approved by God, I am referring to the debts we take on that we have no means to pay back.) The GOOD news is, if being debt-free is within God’s Will than we can pray without doubt that God will deliver us wholeheartedly from debt. I prayed and prayed to be delivered from debt, knowing God could do it in one swoop, but not seeing myself how. I did not need to see how. Now I am seeing God answer this prayer in my life in MAJOR ways. Watch out: A powerful testimony is coming soon from me and you.

18 for it is pleasing when you keep them in your heart and have all of them ready on your lips.

This is yet another endorsement to memorize scripture. This is a spiritual discipline that often gets ignored (by me too.)


29 Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.

Take pride in your work. Pray that you will find joy in what you do, so that you will want to train and study to be the best.

--SaucySister

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are encouraged to discuss your responses to the topic.

However unauthorized solicitations (SPAM) will not be posted.